Skip to content

The Sciatica Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know

sasun bughdaryan xWlsYJU4ynE unsplash

I’m often asked if I treat sciatica, followed by inquiries about my methods. The answer to the first question is simple: yes. The second is more nuanced because sciatica isn’t a single condition, but a group of related syndromes stemming from sciatic nerve irritation. Many factors can trigger these syndromes, which often mimic true sciatic issues.

Sciatica, as defined by Mt. Sinai Hospital, involves pain, weakness, numbness, or tingling in the leg due to injury or pressure on the sciatic nerve. It’s a symptom, not a disease in itself. While many patients present with “sciatic pain,” most have a “sciatic-like” condition, meaning the root cause lies elsewhere, not necessarily in the spine.

Treating True Sciatica vs. Sciatic-Like Conditions

512px Sciatic nerve and tibial nerve.svgIf pain originates in the spine, I focus on identifying why the lower back is overcompensating, leading to nerve compression. This involves assessing lower and upper body mechanics to pinpoint which muscles aren’t pulling their weight or are overworking, causing the spine to compress the nerve. By addressing these muscle imbalances, the back can relax, relieving pressure on the nerve.

For sciatic-like conditions, the nerve compression site is elsewhere. The same process applies: identifying underperforming or overworked muscles causing the issue.

A Comprehensive Approach to Relief

This analysis allows me to craft about 80% of the solution. Treating any lingering injuries or protective mechanisms the body has developed. The remaining 20% involves addressing the pain itself.

I treat using Sports Acupuncture Therapy which combines acupuncture, bodywork, dry needling, progressive loading, and rehab exercises to achieve rapid results. My treatment approach is tailored to each individual, utilizing the tools that will most effectively and rapidly alleviate pain.

This comprehensive approach sets my practice apart and explains why I’ve helped so many patients who have tried numerous other solutions without success. If you’re struggling with sciatica, I encourage you to schedule an appointment to see how I can help you find relief.

TAKE YOUR FIRST STEP TO A PAIN-FREE LIFE AND BOOK YOUR DISCOVERY CALL!

NOT A PHONE PERSON? THAT’S FINE! FILL OUT THIS FORM AND I'LL GET BACK TO YOU.